On 24 Mar 2010 at 15:38, Sam Cayze  wrote:

> At first, I thought, 'brilliant' Then a few seconds later I was wondering why
> more services don't do this IP calculation all the time. Say... banks?
> http://lifehacker.com/5501131/gmail-detects-and-warns-you-if-someone-else-is
> -using-your- account

Follow the money.  Perhaps banks don't do this because (for business, where the
big money is) the liability lies with the business, not the bank.  There is not
enough financial incentive for the banks to invest in this.

IMHO if the banks had the same max-$50 limit (maybe more, but still a statutory
limit) on what businesses were liable for in the event of a breach, you betcha
they'd start working on authenticating each transaction rather than the system
they use now, which "authenticates" each user and then pretty much ass*u*mes
everything that an "authenticated" user does is legitimate.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona