Wow... that's good to know for those with their own modem, but I wonder how
difficult it would be to get the ISP to admit that their modem had done that...

-----Original Message-----
From: John Aldrich [mailto:jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:41 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Internet issues (RANT) --- SOLVED!

Just FYI, in case anyone cares, I was able to access my linux box at home
this morning after putting my modem in "Bridged" mode and setting the router
to do the authentication. Had to power-cycle both the modem and the router
to get it to "take" but it's working now. :-)

So, if anyone has a SpeedStream DSL modem and suddenly finds that their
internet has stopped working and your ISP says "everything is fine here,"
you should check to see if your modem has been taken out of Bridged mode.
:-)