On 31 Mar 2010 at 14:43, Maglinger, Paul  wrote:

> I guess it's back to waiting 2 minutes for PDFs to load.

I downloaded his test PDF which opens a CMD window.  It did that a few times
for me but doesn't any more.  I even edited it to have it open CALC.EXE, and it
did that too.

I really don't like the Foxit Reader forces itself to become your default PDF
reader if you choose "Open With" and select it.

Load times are much less if you use SumatraPDF (1.2 MB installed).

    Sumatra PDF viewer by Krzysztof Kowalczyk
    http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/index.html

Or you could use Evince, there's a Win32 installer available:

> Evince (gnome/unix pdf viewer) is also free, available for windows, and will
> view damn near anything, FYI.  I'm getting sort of partial to it even on my
> windows boxes.  Supports all the usual ctrl+ alt+ shift+ mouse wheel for
> intelligent scrolling, lot of other apps don't.
>
> http://live.gnome.org/Evince/Downloads

Another possibility is this online reader:

    gPDF Add-on For Firefox, Chrome And Opera
    http://blog.arpitnext.com/gpdf

but it won't work for PDF attachments to email.

Evince, while much heavier at 72 mb installed vs 1.2 mb for SumatraPDF, does a
much better job on several Adobe test PDFs from the Adobe PDF Test Suite at
http://acroeng.adobe.com/.  SumatraPDF doesn't fare very well on the complex
PDFs but it does fine on most of the PDFs I've downloaded from the WWWeb.

Angus

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona