Do you have other guests on the same storage as the misbehaving guest? Are they
working ok?

-----Original Message-----
From: Kurt Buff [mailto:kurt.b...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 3:54 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: OTish: ESX 3.5 guest won't boot

I'm googling like mad, and not finding a lot. Our ESX infrastructure
is primitive - it's two purely standard (not enterprise, so no
vmotion, etc.) ESX boxes running a number of guests, some of which are
on a SAN, some of which are on direct attached (internal) disk.

ESX is Version 3.5.0 Build 133630 - the VI client is 2.5.0 103672

The guest that's misbehaving is our Win2k3 R2 SP2 WSUS server (also
running our VIPRE enterprise console), and it's on direct attached
disk. It started hanging, so I initiated a shutdown. After 15 minutes
at the 'shutting down' dialog box without any movement, I asked ESX to
power the box down.

I then tried to start it, and got a popup from the VI client saying

          Error: Could not power on VM : Metadata write error. Failed
to power on VM.

I also tried starting it from the command line, and got the following error:

          VMControl error -999: Unknown error: The poweron operation
failed unexpectedly.

The ESX host contains a number of production machines, so I can't
simply reboot in the middle of the day.

I've cruised through /var/log/messages, and found messages like this:

Apr  7 15:16:35 zesx2 cimserver: storelib-Failed to get pd infor for
ctrl 0, dev 1
Apr  7 15:16:35 zesx2 cimserver: Cannot get information from
controller 0 phy device 1
Apr  7 21:03:01 zesx2 cimserver:
storelib-GetLDList-ProcessLibCommandCall failed; rval = 0x8017
Apr  7 21:03:01 zesx2 cimserver: Volume Cannot get logical disk data
from controller 0
Apr  7 21:03:01 zesx2 cimserver: storelib-Failed to get pd infor for
ctrl 0, dev 1
Apr  7 21:03:01 zesx2 cimserver: Cannot get information from
controller 0 phy device 1
Apr  7 21:03:01 zesx2 cimserver: storelib-Failed to get pd infor for
ctrl 0, dev 2
Apr  7 21:03:01 zesx2 cimserver: Cannot get information from
controller 0 phy device 2
Apr  8 07:03:00 zesx2 cimserver: storelib-Read config failed 0
Apr  8 07:03:00 zesx2 cimserver: Cannot get information from
controller 0 phy device 2
Apr  8 07:03:00 zesx2 cimserver: storelib-Failed to get pd infor for
ctrl 0, dev 1
Apr  8 07:03:00 zesx2 cimserver: Cannot get information from
controller 0 phy device 1
Apr  8 11:22:04 zesx2 cimserver: storelib-Failed to get pd infor for
ctrl 0, dev 0
Apr  8 11:22:04 zesx2 cimserver: Cannot get information from
controller 0  logical device 0
Apr  8 11:22:04 zesx2 cimserver: storelib-Failed to get pd infor for
ctrl 0, dev 2
Apr  8 11:22:04 zesx2 cimserver: Cannot get information from
controller 0 phy device 2
Apr  8 11:22:04 zesx2 cimserver: storelib-Failed to get pd infor for
ctrl 0, dev 1
Apr  8 11:22:04 zesx2 cimserver: Cannot get information from
controller 0 phy device 1
Apr  8 11:22:04 zesx2 cimserver: storelib-Failed to get pd infor for
ctrl 0, dev 2
Apr  8 11:22:04 zesx2 cimserver: Cannot get information from
controller 0 phy device 2

Any thoughts and pointers much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kurt