From: Kurt Buff [mailto:kurt.b...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2010 6:05 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Windows 7 - problems with renaming computer and joining to domain

All,

We have a Win2k3 SP2 R2 domain.

We're getting small number of machines with Win7 Pro pre-installed from a local
whitebox vendor (this is a temporary condition, I
hope...)

I've run into two problems:

1) minion can't join machine to domain manually He's not a Domain Admin, and it
says he's exceeded his quota for adding machines. This surprises me, since he
doesn't have this issue with XP machines - I long ago added him to a group that
is allowed add machines to the domain. My credentials worked.

2) I cruised the Information Super Highway and found that the PS cmdlet
rename-computer has been removed from PS. This puts a kink in things, as we
want to rename the computer and join it to the domain in the same script.

My google-fu is failing me - I can't seem to find any links that address these
problems.

I'm not going to go down the path of crying about netdom being removed.
PowerShell is just fine by me, though the method required to start an elevated
instance is a bit annoying.

Anyone have some hints for me?

Kurt