Are you sure ?  We are running Exchange 2003 without WINS and no issues.

CFee
From: Sean Martin [mailto:seanmarti...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:44 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: WINS (- was RE: Domain controllers, what is supposed to happen.)

Exchange 2003 and earlier versions depend on NetBIOS. WINs is recommended to
provide such. Other applications may also have similar dependencies.

- Sean
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Ben Scott
<mailvor...@gmail.com<mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com>> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Sherry Abercrombie
<saber...@gmail.com<mailto:saber...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Turn it off and then see if anyone or any application screams.  It will
> drastically cut down on unnecessary chatter on the network.
 Correct if "turn it off" means NetBIOS.  I believe incorrect if
"turn it off" means WINS without also implying NetBIOS.  :)

 If properly configured, WINS will actually drastically *reduce*
broadcast traffic.  But you have to also configure all NetBIOS does as
P-nodes -- peer nodes, type 0x2 -- unicast WINS only, no broadcasts.

 You should also configure NetBIOS such that a small set of reliable
computers attempt to be browse masters, and configure everything else
*not* to attempt to be a browse master.  Otherwise you'll get browser
elections ever time a computer boots.  (This is not a WINS issue,
technically speaking, but part of the NetBIOS protocol design.)

 If you don't have WINS but don't also disable NetBIOS, you'll get
just as much, if not more, network chatter.  :)

-- Ben