Robocopy with the /E switch and then file inclusion options for date(s).

"Robocopy /?" for more....

-sc

From: Mark Robinson [mailto:mark.robin...@cips.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:38 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Network File Copy

HI All,

I wonder if someone can help please.  I'm looking to archive 5000+ files
that were modified pre-2008 to Tape.

I am using only the Standard windows search tool to search a specific
network location for all files created before 01/01/2008.  When I copy
these files to a holding area ready to archive, I believe I will lose
the directory structure from the source directory, and all files will be
copied to the root of the destination directory.  Therefore giving me a
wedge of 5000+ files with no discernable structure making searching for
/ restoring this data tricky should the need arise.

Does anyone know of any tools / tricks / tips for copying data retrieved
using a custom date-range search to a new location whilst retaining the
original folder structure??  I cannot copy all folders because a folder
may have been created in 2010, but may have data in it that was created
in 2006.  So I can pull the 2006 file out of the folder, but not the
folder itself as it will also contain current data as well as old.

I hope that makes sense!!!

Any advice greatly appreciated

Many thanks,

Mark

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Internet communications are not secure and therefore CIPS does not
accept legal responsibility for the contents of any e-mail message sent
via this medium. The content of any e-mail communication is the view of
the individual and CIPS does not accept legal liability for the
contents. Although this message and any attachments are believed to be
free of virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into
which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is
accepted by CIPS for any loss or damage in any way arising from its use.

CIPS runs the following software packages: MS Office Suite 2003, MS
Visio 2003, MS Project 2002. Please ensure that any files you send are
compatible.

The Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply (CIPS) is an organisation
incorporated under Royal Charter and is based at Easton House, Easton on
the Hill, Stamford, Lincs PE9 3NZ, tel: +44 (0)1780 756777, and is a
registered Charity number 1017938. CIPS Services Limited is a wholly
owned subsidiary company of CIPS, registered in England under number
2610367 and is registered at the address shown above. Both organisations
operate under a group VAT registration number: 3426 489 42.

--
Scanned by iCritical.