From: Ziots, Edward [mailto:ezi...@lifespan.org]
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 5:40 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: DNSSEC and the root Domain Name Servers Changeover May 5th

Folks,

I have been getting some questions about the issues surrounding the changing of
the root DNS servers implementing DNSSEC as of MAY 5th,  and how this might
affect the zone transfers, and DNS in general for organizations that aren’t
implementing DNSSEC yet, or don’t have DNSSEC compliant DNS Servers (
Bind/Windows etc etc).

From what I am reading non DNSSEC aware DNS servers will get the DNS responses
in the older non-compliant format.  So this will work for resolvers ( say
Windows XP and below) but what about organizations/business that are hosting
there zones accordingly, do they need to be upgraded to DNSSEC just to
participate in the DNS hierarchy or not? I was under the assumption this is
really going to affect the TLD’s more and the ISP’s, but I defintely wrong
about that.

Like to hear everyones ideas about this, reading some stuff, and not all the
info is telling me the same things.

Edward Ziots
CISSP,MCSA,MCP+I,Security +,Network +,CCA
Network Engineer
Lifespan Organization
401-639-3505
ezi...@lifespan.org