From: Richard Stovall [mailto:rich...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 12:36 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: VPN stuff

http://www.schneier.com/pptp-faq.html

I suppose, as with many things, it's all about what your security needs are.  I
agree with the less is more/better philosophy in general, but usually that's
thought to be true because of 2 things - reduced risk from insecure apps and
better performance due to fewer apps running.  In this case it could be
reasonably argued that your vulnerability profile actually goes up by not
installing the SSL VPN software.
On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Phillip Partipilo
There are a lot of things in transition here, but one little one has been
implementation of a Watchguard UTM box.  Recently remote SSL VPN users have
been having issues.  I'm taking that up with support, so not asking about that.
But call me an old stubborn fart, but I have things working with PPTP, which
Windows has a built in client for, and now theres the addition of SSL which
needs additional software.  Maybe call me a minimalist, but the less 3rd party
crap I have to install on my PC, the more streamlined it stays.  Comments?

Phillip Partipilo
Parametric Solutions Inc.
Jupiter, Florida
(561) 747-6107