These are all forms of signatures, most particularly the hash.  I suppose it's
a question of nomenclature.

Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Brutsche [mailto:p...@optimumdata.com]
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 7:20 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Sunbelt, McAfee, Symantec - now Clam

Application whitelisting doesn't necessarily use signatures.

Microsoft's AppLocker and it's predecessor, Software Restriction Policies, can
whitelist based on:
 * folder paths
 * file name
 * file hashes
 * executables signed by with a software publisher's X.509 code-signing
certificate

--

Phil Brutsche
p...@optimumdata.com