From: richardmccl...@aspca.org [mailto:richardmccl...@aspca.org]
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 10:38 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Wireless Routers

Geek Squad should not set these things up!  If they do, they have no
business leaving before confirming that the end user connects and gets IP
settings, etc from it.  (I don't believe they do this stuff for free,
either.)

Most of these things come with "default" settings wide-open, broadcasting
SSID, no encryption, etc.  It is highly desirable to go with a more secure
set of security measures offered by the device.

Now, if one chooses "n", an encryption standard not supported by the users
NIC, etc, one will either not connect or will "connect" but get no IP
settings.  Hey, if you can't connect, it is secure!

BTW, it is possible for a coconut to drift from the Caribbean to the coast
of Ireland via the Gulf Stream.  Swallows need not be involved.
--
Richard D. McClary
Systems Administrator, Information Technology Group

richardmccl...@aspca.org

P: 217-337-9761
C: 217-417-1182
F: 217-337-9761
 <http://www.aspca.org/> www.aspca.org

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is
from The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to AnimalsR (ASPCAR)
and is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may
contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not
the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying or use of the contents of this e-mail,
and any attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me by reply email and
permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout
thereof.

"John Aldrich" <jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com> wrote on 05/10/2010 09:28:17
AM:

<jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com
> > wrote:
> This weekend, I spent about 4 hours working at a client's site (side
> job) trying to get their desktop to link up to their existing
> wireless router (Netgear.) I never succeeded and I was also unable
> to get my Dell laptop to talk to their wireless router. After
> fussing with it for over  2 hours, I went to Walmart and bought a
> WRT54GS2 Linksys wireless (same exact model I have at home) and
> hooked it up. Instant success.
> Long story short - if I ever have a job where I can't get the
> wireless to connect, and the user has a Netgear wireless router, I'm
> not even going to spend time on it, I'll just tell the client I'm
> going to go buy a different router that *will* work and get another
Linksys.
> Just thought I'd pass this along for anyone who's looking for a new
> wireless router. J
>
> [image removed] [image removed]

<<image001.jpg>>

<<image002.jpg>>