I received the email below from a public sector entity we work with, who are
maintaining that for "security reasons" they now send out certain documents
as encrypted .exe files, which they expect our users to unpack themselves.
Notwithstanding that a) the IronPort isn't particularly keen on letting
executable attachments through, b) our Application Management solution won't
execute anything that isn't owned by Administrators, and c) our whitelist
GPO won't execute anything that doesn't match one of its hash rules, this
sort of approach seems a little, well, archaic to me. The best bit is, they
are sending the password for the encrypted executable to our users via a
plain-text, unencrypted email, so the security is more or less worthless
anyway.

My question is, how do other people handle transmission of encrypted data to
users who work in a locked-down environment? We use the IronPort's built-in
encryption features to handle our user's requirements to *send *sensitive
data, but I'm looking for something to work the other way. I can only assume
there are far better ways than sending out executable files via email, so I
am looking for some real-world solutions. I *could* ratchet down our
end-user security to allow these through, but I'd sooner propose something
else that allows me to keep it in place.

TIA,

JRR