On 14 May 2010 at 15:54, Peter van Houten  wrote:

> Due to the change of government in the UK, the crisis has been averted and I
> have the luxury of inspecting the damage myself next week. I would, however
> still like to access the system remotely and since last night have Nessus
> trying to find an opening :-)

Can you air-mail them a bootable rescue CD to allow you remote access (or have
them download the ISO from http://www.sysresccd.org/Download and burn it
themselves)?  In the past I have used SystemRescueCD to recover files from an
unbootable Windows box.  SRCD includes an SSH server to which I logged in
across the LAN using SSH.  From the remote shell, I was able to run ntfs-3g to
mount the NTFS partition, then used WinSCP to copy files off the unbootable
box.  I think this would fit the original need you stated at the start of this
thread, to grab a file from the (l)user's desktop.  You just need to have your
remote user press [TAB] and add "rootpass=password" to the SRCD command-line at
boot-time to have the SSH server load automagically.

While I was googling to answer this, I discovered that the current
SystemRescueCD also includes a "VNC server" boot option; I just booted a test
VM using the latest SRCD, setting both a root password and a VNC password using
command-line additions at boot time, and I was able both to SSH into the VM
using PuTTY and to open a VNC session using my UltraVNC viewer.

FYI the "vncserver" addition to the default command-line, which I entered after
pressing [TAB] on the boot-screen, is unfortunately missing from the on-CD SRCD
boot-help screens.  After some dinking around, I found I needed to add
"vncserver=2:passwd1 dhdhcp rootpass=passwd2" (without the "quotes", of course,
and using your choice of passwords) to the default command-line.  The VNC
password must be between 5 and 8 characters or VNC server won't load.  FYI the
VNC server listens on port 5901 (and 5902 if you specify "vncserver=2:"), not
the default of 5900.

The VNC session opened with a live terminal window, from within which I could
mount the Windows partion and "see" it from Linux.

============= Included Stuff Follows =============
r...@sysrescuecd /root % ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows
r...@sysrescuecd /root % ls /mnt/windows
arcldr.exe    CONFIG.SYS              MSDOS.SYS     Program Files
arcsetup.exe  Documents and Settings  NTDETECT.COM  System Volume Information
AUTOEXEC.BAT  Install                 ntldr         WINNT
boot.ini      IO.SYS                  pagefile.sys
r...@sysrescuecd /root %
============= Included Stuff Ends =============

This IMHO is a very powerful troubleshooting tool, and I am going to add this
SRCD-with-SSHD_&_VNC_server to my troubleshooting tools for remote support on
unbootable systems.

See also:
    Use SystemRescueCd remotely with VNC server

http://www.sysresccd.org/news/2008/04/12/use-systemrescuecd-remotely-with-vnc-server/
    or here if the above wraps unusably: http://preview.tinyurl.com/27a3m9r
and:
    Manage remote windows & linux servers using SystemRescueCd

http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_Manage_remote_windows_linux_servers_using_SystemRescueCd
    or here if the above wraps unusably: http://preview.tinyurl.com/4g949q

--
Angus Scott-Fleming