I can remember an instance many years ago where share and NTFS permissions
on one of our file servers simply stopped working. I remember applying the
latest Windows Service Pack to fix this (IIRC, it was Windows NT4 SP5, and
it contained some sort of NTFS update).

In these situations where perms seem to be not behaving as intended, I'd be
tempted to install all the latest updates and/or reinstall the file server
role.