A kid I know graduated last year with a degree in "Systems Engineering" from
one of the best-known public universities (at least on the east coast). And he
did fairly well.

He disliked his first job and has been job hunting. He went to a technical
interview last week and they asked him to write a small program to read in a
string of characters - all 1's and 0' - and convert it into binary and then
display the ASCII text. He failed it.

He asked me to explain it to him, which I did and we made it work (well, I gave
him pseudo-code and made HIM make it work), but it turned out that he had no
real concept of binary. It had never come up in his schooling and he said what
he read on Google didn't help. HAH.

In later conversation he told me he got through most of his degree and his
first job by finding code on the web and minimally adapting it to his needs -
never understanding what some of it did.

I just had to shake my head.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith
Consultant and Exchange MVP