From: David Lum [mailto:david....@nwea.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 3:56 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Now: monitoring; (was RE: Veering even more OT ...)

+1, I've smoked my Service Desk guys on that EXACT error before (not that I've
ever done the same bonehead thing myself to burn this into my head)

Setting up monitoring dependencies follows the same thing - no need to PING
test a remote server if you can't ping a the local switch, or the remote
router, etc.

Which brings up a question as I've had this debate with my network architect.
He says when monitoring servers to ping by IP instead of hostname "in case DNS
goes down". My point is you should be testing for that infrastructure anyway so
ping by name doesn't get triggered unless DNS functionality (also tested for)
is working. I'm of the "test as you operate" so if clients connect by hostname,
then test by hostname. If only IP addr is used, then use that. Same for
websites, etc.

Would LOVE to see a whitepaper recommending one way or another.

Thoughts?

David Lum // SYSTEMS ENGINEER
NORTHWEST EVALUATION ASSOCIATION
(Desk) 971.222.1025 // (Cell) 503.267.9764