From: John Hornbuckle
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 4:06 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues (ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com)
Subject: Nested VBS in logon scripts

I'm not a logon script or WScript expert-hopefully some of you are.

A vendor has provided us with a VBS script that runs during logon. Its purpose
is to call a second VBS script, with the goal being that the second script will
continue running in the background after the user has logged in (it's a loop
that periodically sends a bit of data somewhere).

So in the first script is a line that says:

objShell.Run
"\\server\path\SecondScript.vbs<file:///\\server\path\SecondScript.vbs>", 0,
False

Unfortunately, the second script-the one that's supposed to run perpetually in
a loop-dies while running. After extensive testing, it appears that the second
script is dying when the first script's WScript.exe instance wraps up; it's not
spawning its own separate instance of WScript. We know this because if we add
"WScript.Sleep(10000)" to the end of the first script, the second script will
continue to run for 10 seconds. But during those 10 seconds, the user logon
process just sits there.

So, is there a trick to this? A way to have the first script that runs during
logon call a second script that will continue to run in a loop after logon is
complete? The vendor says we're the only installation they've seen this issue
in. Could there be some group policy we have in place that would cause the
behavior we're seeing?

John Hornbuckle
MIS Department
Taylor County School District
www.taylor.k12.fl.us

NOTICE: Florida has a broad public records law. Most written communications to
or from this entity are public records that will be disclosed to the public and
the media upon request. E-mail communications may be subject to public
disclosure.