From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 6:44 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: [HUMOR] Someone misconfigured something somewhere, I think

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 6:36 PM, James Hill <james.h...@superamart.com.au> wrote:
> Unfortunately they probably did it on purpose.
> Just like the many open rdp connections there are around.

  Many moons ago, I had a client who had a main office and a branch office,
with a half dozen or so PCs at each.  Server at the main office.  Server was NT
4, clients were Win 98.  Their method of connecting the two?  All computers
were on the public Internet.  You simply connected to

        \\%PUBLIC_IP_OF_SERVER%\shared\

and there you go.  Who needs a VPN or a firewall?

  I couldn't convince the owner there was anything wrong with that, even after
all PCs were taken down by some kind of malware.  For the second time.

  They're not in business anymore.  Shocking, eh?

-- Ben