We use SCCM for our servers.

Patches released on Tuesday. - Meeting evaluate
Deploy to development environment on Wednesday
Deploy to Test environment on Thursday
Deploy to production on Saturday

At any time screaming people can throw a wrench if a real problem is
discovered.  Some servers or groupings are on a slightly different
schedule for somethings (telecom) but for the most part we deploy on
over a thousands servers with this schedule.  Generally 'problems'
turn out to be isolated to 'NOT the patch'.

Steven