Thanks for your replies.  I located the entry in Process Monitor for the
registry key in question and the result for the action was 'Access
Denied'.

I carried out the registry hacks as provided by Edward (
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=254411) but this
has not alleviated the error.

I also checked the 'Driver' and 'Setup' paths for the SQL Native Client
DLL in 'HKLM\Software\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers' and copied the
sqlncli.dll from a functioning workstation into the path specified
(c:\winnt\system32) in the registry key, and registered it.  This also
did not work.

The Windows XP OS is at SP3 level so it is not an MDAC issue as some
threads I have looked at suggested it may be.

Does anyone have any further suggestions please? Any at all!!!

Thanks,

Mark