On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Ken Schaefer <k...@adopenstatic.com> wrote:
> So SLAAC will only work if you have unique MAC addresses?

  Hmmm.  I would expect so, for certain definitions of "unique".  That
said, I know very little about this stuff -- I've read a few articles
and discussions, that sort of thing.

> If you use Hyper-V, then the pool of MAC addresses assigned to the guests is
> based
> off a pool generated from the host's IP address. If you build servers in a
> build factory,
> then you'll end up with duplicate MAC addresses for your guests.

  If you have multiple hosts in the same broadcast domain with the
same MAC address, you're going to have much bigger problems than that.
 :)

  If the hosts are not in the same broadcast domain, they're almost
certainly not in the same IP network, so their IP address will be made
unique by the combination of IP network plus MAC address.  The MAC
address is unique within the broadcast domain.

  Proxy ARP could cause problems, but if you're using proxy ARP you're
prolly already used to that.  ;-)

-- Ben