I've got 3 HP/Compaq boxes running hyper-v.

Raid 1 for the OS, and raid 5 for the vms.  As long as the write caching
is enabled, performance has be pretty good.

If that write caching is not on, pretty dog slow.

From: Ben N [mailto:bennordlan...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 5:52 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Server raid config ponderings

I have a new Dell R710, with 10 (2.5inch) x 300GB SAS drives. (dual quad
core with 48GB RAM)

The Hyper-V guests i'll be putting on here are really going to just be
old physical servers that i want to retire. So not much production use.
There will be a few important servers, like some Win2k3 IIS SMTP
servers, but not too much traffic. Also a test domain that has Exchange
on it with only 2 active mailboxes. stuff like that.

Hard Drive config? I was thinking of doing Raid 10 initially with all
drives, but i'd be without a hot spare. Not liking the idea of getting a
spare ahead of time or waiting for one if i didn't. I was then thinking
of Raid 5 with a hotspare.. But i am nervous about the possible write
bottleneck.

I just want to get as much space as i can, but not suffer the wrath of
my guests.

Has anyone had a similar config like this with Hyper-V and done Raid 5
with SAS drives?

-BenN