Smart cards are optional for DirectAccess, not required. What I was trying
(poorly) to say was that Microsoft's internal implementation of DirectAccess is
set up to require smart card authentication (e.g. MSFT employees must use smart
cards). Our DirectAccess implementation currently does not require the users to
have a smart card. Smart cards (we use .NET cards - Gemalto is the major vendor
in the market) are a quite useful security tool, but they require a
distribution/maintenance infrastructure that complicates their use.

Applications that don't work across a DirectAccess link are those which won't
work over IPv6. The first one I came across was the Communicator IM client. I
think VoIP apps that rely on the SIP protocol fall in to this category as well.

Also, internal applications that you access by IP address only will be a
problem. This is because DirectAccess makes it routing decisions based on name
resolution, not IP destination. Say your corporate network is using the
10.x.x.x IPv4 address space and a domain name of "internal.mycorp.com". You can
tell DirectAccess to send all traffic to *.internal.mycorp.com over the tunnel
to your corporate network, but you can't tell it to route all traffic to any
10.x.x.x address across the tunnel. The only way around this is to force all
communications across the tunnel (that is, disable split-tunneling).
Unfortunately, this has performance implications, as it makes DirectAccess use
a less-efficient protocol and increases the load on the DirectAccess servers,
not to mention it sends all Internet-bound traffic from the client "the long
way" through the corporate network and out the corporate Internet connection.

Hope that makes sense...

-Malcolm