It's already in 2008 and 2008R2
[cid:image001.png@01CB2FF6.E0DB2670]

From: Andrew S. Baker [mailto:asbz...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 29 July 2010 7:20 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: DFS Quandary

It will be in the version after the version after that if you get a jump start
on complaining now.

-ASB: http://XeeSM.com/AndrewBaker

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Tom Miller
<tmil...@hnncsb.org<mailto:tmil...@hnncsb.org>> wrote:
Too bad there is no "folder exclusion" option, then I wouldn't have to do the
work-around.  That must be in the next version...

>>> "Joe Tinney" <jtin...@lastar.com<mailto:jtin...@lastar.com>> 7/28/2010 4:47
>>> PM >>>
I happened to be in the DFS FAQ earlier today and ran across this:

>From http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773238(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_006:
Can more than one folder be replicated on a single server?
Yes. DFS Replication can replicate numerous folders between servers. Ensure
that each of the replicated folders has a unique root path and that they do not
overlap. For example, D:\Sales and D:\Accounting can be the root paths for two
replicated folders, but D:\Sales and D:\Sales\Reports cannot be the root paths
for two replicated folders.
That would seem to indicate that you shouldn't, but not necessarily that you
can't and doesn't spell out the apparent doom that would occur from doing so. I
would imagine you could end up in some kind of replication loop based on the
asynchronous and serial method of replication that this document also indicates
is possible. That is just a guess, though.

Good luck,
Joe