This is actually a really good idea.

From: Angus Scott-Fleming [mailto:an...@geoapps.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:43 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Cc: Alex Eckelberry
Subject: Re: Vipre false positives?

On 26 Jul 2010 at 9:08, Jeff Cain wrote:

>     These should have been addressed in def version 6636. If not please let
> us know right
>     away.

IMHO VIPRE needs a "Rescan Quarantined Files" option -- an "auto-recover from
FP" feature.

The "Rescan" should allow us to select, from the console, an agent or set of
agents, and allow us to tell each agent to rescan its quarantined items using
the current set of defs, which presumably has corrected the FP.  There should
be an option to unquarantine -- to restore -- anything that scans "clean", with
an option to email the report to the administrator either way. There should be
an option to time-limit the items being rescanned so we only scan a given date
range, this would allow us to limit the scanning to the last day or week of
quarantined items.  We should be able to schedule the rescan, too, so the scan
happens when it won't interfere with work.

This would allow us to recover easily from an episode of False Positives that
erroneously quarantines files on multiple systems (as long as those systems are
still bootable and the VSE Agent is running there).  It is tolerable if you
have a few machines with FPs.  I can't imagine cleaning up an FP episode on
hundreds of machines.

We all understand that all AV products either suffer from FPs or infections
that get by.  I'd rather have the FPs, but having a "Rescan Quarantine" would
really set VIPRE apart from other AV products.  I don't know of any other
product which offers this.

Discussion welcome.

Angus