Per subject line, as I've never dealt with a multiple NIC SQL server where both
NICs are on the same IP range before.

I have a situation where a production SQL instance has gone offline, and I lack
the budget or time to simply replace it (out of warranty hardware, of course.).
I DO have another server which I can transfer the load/backup to, but they
would by necessity be on the same subnet and share the same gateway.

Given this scenario, could I reasonably enable another NIC on my second server,
using the IP of the downed machine, and enable a new instance of SQL for that
network card?  I don't need to worry about NetBIOS connections, as the client
dumb devices and PCs are configured to use either the IP(dumb devices) or
FQDN(PCs)