I should have *BOLDED* 'edge case'.  :)
For day to day use, I certainly wouldn't do it.

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Michael B. Smith <mich...@smithcons.com>
wrote:
> I'm not going to suggest that this doesn't work - because it does. At
least where-ever I've tried to use it.

> However, be aware that it is NOT SUPPORTED. Microsoft does not support
using versions of the .Net framework later than v2.0 with either PS v1 or PS
v2. It is not (and was not) part of the qualification criteria (i.e., QA
testing) for those releases. This has not changed in the betas for Server
2008 R2 sp1 or Windows 7 sp1, and I don't expect it to for the final
releases of those service packs (although I am not an insider - so that's
just a guess on my part).

> Note: this is a fine-line drawn in the sand. The .Net framework for 2.0,
3.0, and 3.5 are all based on 2.0 (and if you install 3.5, it also installs
2.0 sp2 or whatever). But 4.0 is a "break" from that and is a new base
release of .Net.

> Joel Bennett <jay...@huddledmasses.org> is a PowerShell MVP (as is Thomas
Lee).

http://tfl09.blogspot.com/2010/08/more-on-using-different-versions-of-net.html

http://tfl09.blogspot.com/2010/08/using-later-versions-of-net-framework.html

http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info?_id=uAmYy9xq3BGHcV361fC6Jw

> Steven Peck
> http://www.blkmtn.org
>
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Michael B. Smith <mich...@smithcons.com>
wrote:
>> It is truly unfortunate, but that is actually a .NET framework
limitation.

>> .Net 4, plus a patch, supports "arbitrary length" pathnames (i.e., up
>> to the NTFS limits), so I expect "some future version" of PS will too.
>> I'm not promising anything, just hoping. :-)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Michael B. Smith
>> Consultant and Exchange MVP
>> http://TheEssentialExchange.com

directory name must be less than 248 characters.

>> I keep yelling at people to shorten their file names, but do they listen?
>>
>> Any way to work around this in powershell?
>>
>> Kurt
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 12:22, Michael B. Smith <mich...@smithcons.com>
wrote:
>>> get-childitem k:\groups -force -recurse |?
>>> {$_.CreationTime.ToString() -match "^2010-06-2[0-9]" } | format-table
>>> creationtime,length,fullname -auto
>>>
>>> Or select-string.
>>>
>>> No need to drop to findstr.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Michael B. Smith
>>> Consultant and Exchange MVP
>>> http://TheEssentialExchange.com

underneath my pillow just isn't cutting it...