On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Cameron Cooper <ccoo...@aurico.com> wrote:
> Due to a recent issue with some files within our system being deleted and
> then taking 4 days to restore those files, we are looking for
> suggestions/advice on what an efficient backup process should look like.
> Here’s what we currently have setup:
>
> -          Every Sunday of the week we do a full backup to disk and Tape
> -          Every Monday – Friday we do an incremental backup onto Tape
> -          Every Monday – Saturday we do an incremental backup to disk

  Maybe you could do differential backups to tape.  "Incremental"
backs up everything changed since the previous Full or Incremental.
So in a restore, you have to restore the Full, then each Incremental.
"Differential" backs up everything changed since the previous Full.
So in a restore, you restore the Full and then the most recent
Differential.

  Maybe you could do a full every night.

  Maybe you could do disk-to-disk-to-tape.

  Insufficient data for a better recommendation.  It would help to
know how many computers you're backing up, data set size, tape size,
backup disk size, and what software -- OS and backup -- you're using.

-- Ben