Exagrid!  And you won't get 30 to 1... Probably 15 to 1 depending upon the type
of data being backed up.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lists - Level5 <li...@levelfive.us>
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 3:52 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Subject: De-duping recommendation

We are being approached by Dell to get a few of their Data Domain san units.
We currently have 4 6TB EQL's and are running a 9TB/wk backup rotation. The
owners have requested to have all data backed up and readily available for 7
years. Nothing on tape.

I heard that NetApp is one of the leaders in the de-dupe space but no idea
for certain. We are using Symantec BEX 2010 Enterprise currently, and Veeam
enterprise for our VM's (which are not part of the 9tb data backups
currently).

It looks like we will basically be backing up to the unit until its full
(Dell says 30:1 or so) and then purchase a new one and so on and so on until
someone thinks they spent too much.

Are there any other ideas out there?

Thanks