Jeff -- thanks for this.

This will sound odd, but I like having VIPRE compared to Sophos, as opposed to
many others.  It's a very decent product and a product we look at as being in
the same class as VIPRE.

With regard to your points:

Exclusions -- the next major release of VIPRE (Q4) will have best-practices
templates, which will pre-define roles for various types of systems.  This will
dramatically help in pre-defining exclusions for servers.

Updates -- We actually turned on hourly updates a few months ago, and found
users didn't like it.  I think a lot of that had to do with the updating scheme
inside the product, which spiked CPU usage when applying the update.  The next
minor update to VIPRE has code written in it to allow going back to hourly
updates.

24/7 support -- Got it.  We are working on improving weekend support, and I
expect you'll find things getting quite a bit better. Your general comments
about support are also perfectly reasonable and we will continue to improve.

Reboots -- New code is being written to separate non-boot required functions
from boot-required functions, which will enable us to only require a reboot in
certain occasions.  Our developers have been beaten into submission on this
subject, and they are now terrified of releasing update which requires a reboot
;-)

Sophos actually does require reboots, but they schedule it around major
upgrades, and they push all the reboot-required functions into one release (I
believe they have a policy of only doing reboots once a year).  However, not
doing a reboot around a deployment --- I would like some more information on
this.  Was this on Vista/Windows 7 machines?  Or on XP machines?  On XP and
below, it is technically impossible not to require a reboot, based on the
driver model (there are some exceptions to this, but it's a long technical
discussion).

Once again, thanks for the frank evaluation, and I can assure you this email
has plenty of readers inside the organization.

Alex

Alex Eckelberry, CEO
Sunbelt Software
33 N. Garden Avenue, Clearwater, FL 33755 p: 727-562-0101 x220
e: a...@sunbeltsoftware.com MSN: alex...@hotmail.com<mailto:alex...@hotmail.com>
w:
www.sunbeltsoftware.com<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/exec3/Application%20Data/Microsoft/Signatures/www.sunbeltsoftware.com>
 b: