Tom,

We're in the planning stage of migrating from Groupwise 7.0 to Exchange 2010
right now.  We have around 2800 users, at least 1200 of which are not connected
to the network on a regular basis.  We're looking at Quest tools and Messaging
Architects tools to do the migration to an archive location first, then just
take the last 30 days - 2 months or so of mail and move that from the archive
location into our Exchange system.  Looking like a very "interesting" time
ahead.

As far as clustering, if you're going to 2010, there is no clustering, per se.
You put your mailbox servers into a DAG, which does failover clustering in the
background, automagically.  Very easy to setup, at least it was in the very
controlled classroom location.

>>> Tom Miller <tmil...@hnncsb.org> 8/19/2010 5:44 AM >>>
Hey Folks,

Anyone on this list (or know anyone) that has performed GroupWise --> Exchange
migrations?  We are considering moving to Exchange.  GroupWise is a fine
product but Exchange has direct integration with Great Plains and a our
soon-to-be-new electronic medical records system.

I've done this before so I know what's involved and the various option and
issues.  I'm looking to - potentially - out source it as I and my team are
currently engaged in a number of other long-term projects.  And last time I did
it I lost a year of my life, never to return, forgotten......... ;-)

This would be pretty much migration of our various GroupWise post offices to a
central location except for maybe one site.  (We are implementing XenDesktop so
if users want Outlook they will have to go to XenDesktop or OWA.)  Hardware
will be ready once the migration starts.  900 accounts so a simple setup, maybe
clustering, not sure at this point.

Feel free to reply off-list or on-list.

Tom Miller
Engineer, Information Technology
Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board
757-788-0528
Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or
message.