As you can see, I stayed away from making any comments... but I did make some
comments to PC Mag here:

More likely is the fact that the MBAs drove a good part of this decision:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/19/technology/intel_mcafee_deal/

"Value for Intel shareholders."

Intel has $17.8 billion cash on hand, which is just sitting there, earning very
little for the company's shareholders. So what to do with that cash? Intel
could buy a company that it thinks will generate income for its investors. Ken
Hackel, president of CreditTrends.com and author of Security Valuation and Risk
Analysis, estimated that Intel's total cost of capital on the McAfee purchase
would be about 4%, but the cash return on its invested capital would probably
be around 8%.Software in general is a much higher-margin business than
hardware, and McAfee is no exception, with a gross margin near 75%. Intel's is
around 55%.

Other than that, it doesn't make a huge amount of sense.  Intel has had a weak
track record buying software companies, and many are scratching their heads.

Alex