Not to drag this out folks, but I called Microsoft licensing about this.
 This is what I was told:

1.  Purchase PC from vendor x with OEM Windows 7 Pro license.
2.  From my normal channels, procure Windows 7 Enterprise (or whatever
flavor) SA license, which is actually an upgrade, not full license
3.  Get media from licensing site, create image of Win 7 enterprise,
use the license code on my volume licensing home page

They guy was very knowledgeable.  I guess he gets calls from clueless
admins like me frequently.  I'll be using a KMS server once I get it
running.

>>> Jon Harris <jk.har...@gmail.com> 9/3/2010 7:35 PM >>>
I would think that depends on the Licensing agreement whether you need
an OEM or not and whether the company will gift/resell/donate the
machines at what it determines is EOL. I do know that for Educational
Licensing I previously worked under it required all machines to be
purchased WITH an OEM license for the OS whether the software was
installed or not. Then clients could be rebulit to whatever we
needed/wanted them to be at no additional charge provided we had media
for that OS. If we did not have the media it was like $15. Servers were
different but did need an OEM if memory serves me correctly. They would
get upgraded as the need arose and if the hardware was supported. That
said each "upgrade" was a full license but very cheap going from $45 for
Win 2000 Server to $75 or so for 2003. The last license we bought was
for 2008 Enterprise and that was something like $110.
Jon

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Mike Hoffman <m...@drumbrae.net>