Crikey, mate!  If you want "some tips from some of the locals on this list",
just ask.  We're already here!

And since you asked, here are a few:

1) North America is really, really large.  (Maybe even larger than
Australia!)  The farther north you go, the heavier clothing you'll need.
2) Always buy Americans a beer first.  After that they'll fall all over
themselves to return the kindness for the rest of the night.  And to hear
your funny accent.  Seriously.  You'll come out way ahead on this one, and
save a tonne of money.
3) 2) Does not work on people from Canada or Mexico.
4) Tell them your great grandfather was a hardened, unrepentant criminal
from England.  They expect to hear it anyway, even if he was a priest, or an
Aborigine, or a Prime Minister.
5) Bring your a Koala with you as an ice breaker.  Everyone has one, right?

If I've missed anything, just ask.

Cheers, G'day, and all that stuff.

RS