On 11 Sep 2010 at 17:39, Paul Hutchings  wrote:

> The software that our Help Desk use is reaching EOL and the vendor has
> quoted crazy money to upgrade to the latest and greatest, so I´ve been asked
> to take a look at what´s about, and there´s a lot about hence I´d appreciate
> any personal recommendations.
>
> Our list of requirements is pretty simple, a web interface would be nice,
> the ability to automatically log requests from email would be nice as would
> being able to update a ticket and notify the requester by email.
>
> Also some sort of workflow i.e. if a ticket is opened for "New Software
> Order" you can´t close the ticket until you check off the "Action 1" and
> "Action 2" tasks.
>
> Also being able to pull info from SQL would be good i.e. it would let you
> pick "Asset ID" from an existing database field.
>
> We´d also like it to be able to hook into AD/LDAP to help you pick the user
> who´s creating the ticket, though also being able to enter a random name is
> a requirement (could be an onsite customer).
>
> Not really concerned whether it´s commercial or open source, something that
> runs on Windows would be preferable, we already have a SQL server.

Take a look at Spiceworks.  It's free -- ad-supported -- or you can pay to
eliminate the ads*.  Ticket system doesn't have the required workflow AFAIK.
Data are stored in an SQLite database and can be accessed through canned
reports and through custom SQL reports.  Has a web interface for users and for
sysadmins to the helpdesk, and also has an email interface to the helpdesk.
Helpdesk notifies the submitter by email when actions are taken.

Angus

* Since you use your browser as the interface, you can block the ads with any
decent ad-blocker.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona