There's always the chance you are missing some things...

1. I know of no AV product which scans an NTUSER.DAT file.  If the user
associated with this file is logged in, then it is scanned as a part of
the active registry.  If the associated user is logged off, then scans do
not find the ugly things hidden in HK_Current_User\Software hives.
(Perhaps this painful, irritating nature is why they are called "hives"!)
I've found all kinds of crud either as major hives, or I've found things
in .\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (which, again, show only when
that user is logged in).

2. I found a really nasty one a couple of months ago that VIPRE missed.
(It now finds this, BTW.)  Look in the \Windows, the \Windows\System, and
the \Windows\System32 folders for recent files, especially DLL, COM, or
EXE files with weird names (randon string of letters).

Both #1 and #2 (as well as numerous others) will stay kind-of hidden but
continue to download crud.  The AV scans find what the malware downloads,
but they miss the downloaders.
--
Richard D. McClary
Systems Administrator, Information Technology Group

richardmccl...@aspca.org

P: 217-337-9761
C: 217-417-1182
F: 217-337-9761
www.aspca.org

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is
from The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA
®) and is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may
contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not
the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying or use of the contents of this
e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me by reply email
and permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any
printout thereof.

John Hornbuckle <john.hornbuc...@taylor.k12.fl.us> wrote on 09/15/2010
11:20:06 AM: