From: Andrew S. Baker [mailto:asbz...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:43 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: security concern - ESX host repeatedly hitting external IP...

Sniff the traffic... :)

ASB (My XeeSM Profile)<http://XeeSM.com/AndrewBaker>
Exploiting Technology for Business Advantage...

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Raper, Jonathan - Eagle
<jra...@eaglemds.com<mailto:jra...@eaglemds.com>> wrote:
We're getting ready to decommission an old router, and almost all of the
traffic to and through it (except broadcast) has stopped. I'm reviewing the
syslog, and keep seeing this:

9/16/2010 8:36:50 AM [Internal Router Private IP Address] Informational
SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP 651364: 44w0d: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP: list permit_any
permitted udp [ESX Private IP Address](0) -> 72.18.205.156(0), 1 packet

I've asked our VMware admin to look over his host configuration to make sure he
isn't pointing to the old router, but he says everything is "fine."

Anyone else seen this or have any ideas as to why I'm seeing this traffic?

Upon Googling said IP Address, it appears that it may be part of
pool.ntp.org<http://pool.ntp.org>, but I cannot confirm this. This host is
located in Warminster, PA, according to some sites.

Jonathan L. Raper, A+, MCSA, MCSE
Technology Coordinator
Eagle Physicians & Associates, PA
jra...@eaglemds.com<mailto:jra...@eaglemds.com>
www.eaglemds.com<http://www.eaglemds.com>

or send an email to

Any medical information contained in this electronic message is CONFIDENTIAL
and privileged. It is unlawful for unauthorized persons to view, copy,
disclose, or disseminate CONFIDENTIAL information. This electronic message may
contain information that is confidential and/or legally privileged. It is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) and/or entity named as
recipients in the message. If you are not an intended recipient of this
message, please notify the sender immediately and delete this material from
your computer. Do not deliver, distribute or copy this message, and do not
disclose its contents or take any action in reliance on the information that it
contains.