On 17 Sep 2010 at 7:50, Miller Bonnie L.  wrote:

>     I bought a new W7 Pro laptop at home a while back, getting pro mainly
> for the XP mode. I used disk2vhd to create a vhd file from my old XP laptop
> (that I´ve wiped), copied it over, and thought I could replace the default
> .vhd in XP mode. But, after it just wouldn´t work, some googling seemed to
> indicate that there is something special about the basic XP-mode freshly
> installed .vhd provided via the download, and that you HAVE to start clean
> from that, for anything you want to run or deploy-hence the
> licensing/activation issues. I also read something that you are only legal
> to run the clean-installed vhd as the "free" copy of XP, anything else and
> you have to license.

I wonder what the license issues are WRT to running that VHD in a different VM
environment like VirtualBox.  You own the original license for XP, but if it
was an OEM license I suppose the license doesn't transfer with the VHD.

IMHO this is probably a case where MS wouldn't care to open the can of worms of
licensing -- their special virtual XP vs your old XP license, you *have* a
license to run XP under W7.  I'll bet a jury would decide to throw MS out of
court on that one ;-)

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona