From: James Rankin [mailto:kz2...@googlemail.com]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2010 11:42 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: ESXi fun

As some of you may have noticed, I'm currently engaged in a battle with a
half-dead ESXi box....I'm on the verge of restoring from backup, but one last
try....

Does anyone know if there is any way to copy the virtual machine files from the
ESXi "tech support mode" console onto, say, a USB drive, or somewhere else I
might be able to load them onto a fresh ESXi install (this is because I'm
betting ESXi doesn't support USB removable drives, although I am happy to be
proved wrong)? The server isn't getting onto the network and there's no shared
storage so it would have to be a "local" solution of some kind.

I'm at a new job so as I'm such a quiet guy I am not usually keen to ask too
many questions of as-yet-unfamiliar co-workers, so I'm leaning on the old
faithful mailing list pretty heavy here :-)

If no joy, I'll be pulling out the first backup tape I've ever touched in a
long, long time....

TIA,

JRR

--
"On two occasions...I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr Babbage, if you put into the
machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly

or send an email to