Typically, that involved the single issue of illegal possession of some
physical item.

There's a whole area of new law that needs to be made on this area.  We're
now in the situation where I legally own something, have legal physical
possession, but you're retaining certain rights in relation to that item,
and we've signed no agreement to that effect.  We have 3,400+ years of, if
it's mine, I can do what I want with it, too.  We have case law to that
effect.  Are we now putting EULAs on hardware?