From: Jeff Steward [mailto:jstew...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:01 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Intel wants to charge to unlock features already on your CPU

I am not an independent contractor/consultant and this makes sense to me.  Of
course, I also have 20+ years of manufacturing experience so that may color my
attitude.

You are given a choice of buying X performance now with the OPTION to buy Y
performance increase for an incremental cost IF you so desire.  How this is
perceived as being a Bad Thing (tm) is beyond me.  There is a value for
performance and you get to decide where you want to play on the
price/performance curve.

If you want to hack the chip/mobo and turn on the extra performance and perhaps
risk some nebulous legal consequence or the very real "We (the manufacturer)
won't support that system" consequence, then go for it.

As others have already stated, setting up and operating a single fabrication
run makes a great deal of sense from a manufacturing standpoint and this is
where the bulk of the cost (after R&D) lies.  Intel and/or AMD will need to
recoup those costs and you know that high performance will always cost more.
Overall, reduced manufacturing costs will lead to lower consumer costs provided
we have competition in the market.

Furthermore, as I noted in an earlier message, for some use cases being able to
add performance by writing a check and flipping a proverbial switch without
popping a box out of the rack has a great deal of appeal.  Convincing *my* CFO
to write a check for X dollars is much easier than getting him to write a check
for 10X dollars, and I'll bet I'm not alone there.

Of course, none of you have ever bought a server that was massively overkill
for your current needs "just in case" you needed more performance down the
road, right?  Imagine a world where you could buy computing resources on demand
and pay as we go?  Oh wait....

-Jeff Steward
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Phillip Partipilo
Call me out on this one if I am totally off my rocker, but why does it seem
that all the folks in this particular "debate" who are pro this concept of
artificial limitations seem to be independent contractors/consultants?

Phillip Partipilo
Parametric Solutions Inc.
Jupiter, Florida
(561) 747-6107