Ok, guys. I'm trying to narrow down my many choices with regards to our
on-going search for a SAN manufacturer. I'd like your thoughts on the whole
question of adding more intelligence vs just adding more disks. i.e. the EQ
vs LeftHand models.

I can see arguments to be made for both models. I'll tell you that,
initially, the SAN is going to be a glorified file server, however, we plan
on hosting our email data store on the SAN when we bring email in-house
later on. I've already verified with the email vendor that I hope to use
that this is not a problem, so that's a non-issue. Other than that, the only
database we would store on the SAN would possibly be the database from our
Vipre install, although initially that would stay on the local storage.

So, I'd like to see some discussions of the benefits of just adding a tray
of "dumb drives" or adding a complete controller along with the drives (a la
LeftHand.)

I just don't know enough about the benefits of each model to know what would
work best for us. I'm hoping that you guys who are more experienced would
give me the benefit of your knowledge.

Thanks,
John Aldrich
IT Manager,