We've been using a Drobo Elite for about 6 months. It has seven 2 TB WD drives
in it with dual redundant disks yielding 8.36 TB of available storage. I use it
for Acronis backup images.

One of the drives failed about a week after we installed them. The Drobo
alerted me which drive had failed and I got a replacement and stuffed it in and
it automatically rebuilt the array without any interruptions.

Someone mentioned that the smallest drive somehow define capacity. That not
true. If you go to the Data Robotics website, they have a space calculator app
that tells you the usable storage space with any combination of drive sizes and
redundancy settings.

One of the biggest benefits I see with the Beyond RAID is volume size
flexibility. On a typical RAID, if you specify a 500 MB volume and you reach
that limit and need more you have to backup the data, destroy the volume and
recreate it with a larger size and restore the data.

With Beyond RAID, you can either specify a 500 MB volume and have the same
situation as a conventional RAID. But you can also elect to make the Volume
size 16 TB. Then you can let the volume grow as large as there is free space
available on the installed drives. I make all my volumes 16 TB. If I start
running out of room, I'll add another 2 TB drive. When that's full, I'll pull
one of the 2 TB drives out and stick in a 4 TB drive (or whatever the current
big drive available is).

Other benefits...

* No trays. You just stick the bare drive in.
* Drive order is unimportant. If you shutdown the Drobo, pulled all the drives
and stuck them back in randomly and fired it up, there'd be no problem.
It's more expensive than a NAS but it's worth it for the Beyond RAID. It's also
a lot less expensive than a typical SAN.

I think it great technology.

Bob Hartung
Wisco Industries, Inc.
736 Janesville St.