Thanks for your input. I'll see about finding a good consultant. One of our
fellow listers works for a consultancy in Atlanta and I've sent them email.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Schaefer [mailto:k...@adopenstatic.com]
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010 12:35 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: D/R and SAN

-----Original Message-----
From: John Aldrich [mailto:jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com]
Sent: Saturday, 25 September 2010 12:28 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues

> Well, I need *some* sort of archival backup.

Really? You sure?

>  I don't like not having any sort of archival backup.

What you like, and what the business needs, are two different things. Think
of a Venn diagram. There will be some areas that overlap between your
'likes' and 'business needs'. Everything else is wasting your time

Do you need full back-ups every day? Differential? Incremental? What needs
to be backed up - everything? Only some things? What is your RTO? Can some
stuff be backed-up to online storage - does it all need to be offline? Etc,
etc, etc. <please don't bother to answer now - it's pretty clear you need to
go away and figure this out>

All of these things drive what you need to buy.

Cheers
Ken