Are you using a mail services (postini) to check your outbound mail, if so is your account ok with them, have you tested from outside using a site like http://mxtoolbox.com

HTH,
Bob Smith

From: <jesse-r...@wi.rr.com>
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2010 10:50 AM
To: "NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Cc: "Maglinger, Paul" <pmaglin...@scvl.com>
Subject: outbound smtp broke (connection to host lost)

Stuck on this one.

(1) Exch 2003 server that is my SMTP outbound connector
(1) Exch 2007 server that only hosts mailboxes

For some reason my Exch 2003 server stopped sending outbound emails on Friday. All messages are getting stuck in the queue and show "the connection was dropped by the remote host" when I look at the queue. I made sure that our outgoing IP (24.56.73.162) is NOT on spamhaus or other blacklist. So everything looks good there.

If I try telneting from the Exch 2003 server, it opens successfully to a destination mail server, but as soon as I try typing "H" (for Helo), it disconnects with a "connection to host lost" message in the command prompt.

I also, just for test purposes, tried telneting from the Exch 2007 server (even though it does NOT deliver outbound mail at this time, it only forwards stuff to the Exch 2003 smtp connector), to various mail servers and the SAME thing happens from the 2007 server. I can telnet, but after typing "H", the connection to host is lost.

What's more interesting is, on my local machine, I CAN telnet into any internet mail server and typing "H" does NOT drop the connection at all.

I'm doubting it's a firewall issue because telnet isnt blocking the telnet session from Exch 2003. I'm doubting we're on spamhaus, etc. (checked the spamhaus.org website to be sure), and my ISP says it's not them dropping the connection.. So....

Any ideas?
Thanks.

To manage subscriptions click here: http://lyris.sunbelt-software.com/read/my_forums/