My co-worker the AIX admin says change the word 'respawn' to 'off' in
inittab.  This will prevent the system from recreating the devices when
the machine reboots & runs hardware detection.

HTH.

From: Cameron [mailto:cameron.orl...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 11:37 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: OT: Unix pains

Good afternoon all!

I know there are a few *nix gurus out there, so I'm hoping someone can
point me in the right direction. I have a faxing program that is trying
to allocate resources to physical faxes but it causes a segmentation
fault.

I've tried deleting the two lines in the /etc/inittab file that are
causing me the grief and that will actually allow me to re-enable the
two faxes but when the box is restarted...bam...they are back! (I've
also tried commenting them out with the same results)

Version AIX 5.3

The lines are (within /etc/inittab)

tty3:2:respawn: /usr/sbin/getty /dev/tty3

tty4:2:respawn: /usr/sbin/getty /dev/tty4

How do I stop them from reappearing?

TIA!

Cameron