Being slightly serious for a moment, it's a pretty good illustration of how
something like a SAN in isolation is no use :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: John Aldrich [mailto:jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com]
Sent: 08 October 2010 13:43
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: How'd this for a bad day? AKA bad me

All I can say is "OUCH!" :-(

From: David Lum [mailto:david....@nwea.org]
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2010 5:51 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: How'd this for a bad day? AKA bad me

I have 7 production systems running on 3 different ESX boxes in an ESX
cluster, and 2 different logical SAN volumes (sorry am not SAN savvy, I just
know I have two different SAN volumes to choose from when making a VM).

Today, a SAN blows up and takes out half - our SharePoint server (heavily
used), a Terminal Server , and an internal occasionally-used web server
(Namescape rDirectory). Then somehow, when I was told to power down the
other 4 VM's so our VMWare guy could reboot a vCenter server, 3 of the 4
remaining VM's decided to go AWOL (a combination of "missing" and
"disconnected"). That took out my other two Terminal Servers and another
lightly used internal web server.

Did I mention I don't have the normal backups for these things because
...well...I'm an idiot and didn't confirm our backup guy installed backup
software on these servers as I stood them up (process error on my part since
I should confirm it's on there). None of these store data - they all talk to
a backend SQL and the Terminal Servers are used to run apps that are slow if
they run the same apps over VPN. SharePoint we got back quick because we do
have a staging equivalent of it, so it was repoint to a config and content
DB, DNS change, and done.

I do have copious notes on how I built the others and can rebuild from
scratch easily enough (I just finished the three TS boxes), but dude...six
servers at once?

The most frustrating part was discovering that the 4 systems that had been
powered off could have been "migrated" before power off and there would have
been no issue with them - the power down nuked 'em.

Oh, and the lone surviving server - the PGP Universal Server that manages
the encrypted machines. (Yes, the PGP machines will still boot w/out the
server up, but still, I've been on this server 50% of my time over the last
two weeks!).

Dave
~ <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Business/VIPRE-Enterprise/>  ~

MIRA Ltd

Watling Street, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV10 0TU, England
Registered in England and Wales No. 402570
VAT Registration  GB 114 5409 96

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and are solely for the use of the
intended recipient.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please delete it and
notify us either by e-mail, telephone or fax.  You should not copy, forward or
otherwise disclose the content of the e-mail as this is prohibited.