Openfire/Spark?  Looks promising and can be put on Windows or Linux.  Looks
like it can also integrate with AD.  Dunno if it meets all your requirements or
not, but here's the site:

http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/documentation.jsp

From: Sam Cayze
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2010 9:47 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: IT Solutions for a tiny Deployment

Looking to utilize an IM solution for about 3 users right now.  Might expand to
about 10 users - so please, no over the top large enterprise recommendations.

Requirements:

Security

Trail/Logging

Can work over WAN

I can provide a backend server if needed.

A virtual appliance would be even better.

Any quick pointers are appreciated in conjunction with the research I will be
doing.

TIA,

Sam