  From: James Rankin [mailto:kz2...@googlemail.com]
  Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:57 AM
  To: NT System Admin Issues
  Subject: Home server system

  Any recommendations for a reliable and hopefully fairly cheap server
system for the home? One of my colleagues recommended the HP MediaSmart
ex475 coupled with Windows Home Server, are there anything else people can
recommend? Also, does Windows Home Server offer any particular software or
benefits or is it just aimed at being simple for the non-technical user? I
can see it has backup and remote access capabilities - I'm not really that
bothered about the remote access features for sharing across the internet,
but anything else is probably a plus. How much extra does the Home Server
stuff give you when compared to some sort of baby NAS device like a
TeraStation?

  I was hoping to be able to get something decent for under £1000, at the
least. Storage, availability and backup are probably the primary concerns
I'm addressing, but I'm open to all sorts of other features as well. I don't
have masses of data at the moment, but I might start storing VM files on
there for some testing purposes, so I'll probably need a wedge of capacity.

  --
  "On two occasions...I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr Babbage, if you put into
the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able