John – see point #5. I’m wondering if this is somehow updated/changed in 2008
to account for Vista, but the policy setting “Always wait for the network at
computer startup and logon” in 2003 does not natively apply to Vista (as was
alluded to in this thread yesterday…)

http://www.itechtalk.com/thread1978.html

I’m wondering if there is an Administrative Template for Vista that could be
loaded into 2003 that would address this. I don’t have a test environment that
I can load the admx files into right now…

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=05d0598b-95f9-4bdd-af36-b365d68ec5f6&DisplayLang=en

I’m sure you’ve already seen this, but in case it is helpful to anyone else:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758898(WS.10).aspx

Note the “grey note” section about software installation toward the bottom of
that section:

“The Software Installation and Folder Redirection extensions process policy
only during the initial run because it is risky to process policy in the
background. For example, with Software Installation application upgrades,
applications are installed during the initial run and not in the background. If
it were done in the background, a user could be running an application, and
then have it uninstalled and a new version installed. The application could
also have a shared component that is in use by another application. This would
prevent the installation from completing successfully.”

Someone else has run into the same situation with win7, it seems. Just for
kicks, have you tried turning off UAC on one of your clients as a test?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/bcf38d47-c4b6-4355-a79f-1f256bbed933

HTH... Have a good weekend.

Jonathan L. Raper, A+, MCSA, MCSE

Technology Coordinator